Announcing ESG PlayBook is a Signatory of UN PRI
ESG PlayBook is Delighted to Announce
We are a signatory of the UN PRI as of February 2021.
What is the UN PRI?
Principles for Responsible Investment (UNPRI or PRI) is a United Nations-supported international network of investors working together to implement its six aspirational principles, often referenced as “the Principles”.
What does it do?
The PRI is the world’s leading proponent of responsible investment. It works:
- to understand the investment implications of environmental, social and governance (ESG) factors;
- to support its international network of investor signatories in incorporating these factors into their investment and ownership decisions.
The PRI acts in the long-term interests:
- of its signatories;
- of the financial markets and economies in which they operate and ultimately of the environment and society as a whole.
The PRI is truly independent. It encourages investors to use responsible investment to enhance returns and better manage risks, but does not operate for its own profit; it engages with global policymakers but is not associated with any government; it is supported by, but not part of, the United Nations.
What are the six Principles for Responsible Investment?
- Principle 1: We will incorporate ESG issues into investment analysis and decision-making processes.
- Principle 2: We will be active owners and incorporate ESG issues into our ownership policies and practices.
- Principle 3: We will seek appropriate disclosure on ESG issues by the entities in which we invest.
- Principle 4: We will promote acceptance and implementation of the Principles within the investment industry.
- Principle 5: We will work together to enhance our effectiveness in implementing the Principles.
- Principle 6: We will each report on our activities and progress towards implementing the Principles.
How Many Signatories are there?
The Principles were launched in April 2006 at the New York Stock Exchange. Since then the number of signatories has grown from 100 to over 3,000.
In early 2005, the then United Nations Secretary-General Kofi Annan invited a group of the world’s largest institutional investors to join a process to develop the Principles for Responsible Investment. A 20-person investor group drawn from institutions in 12 countries was supported by a 70-person group of experts from the investment industry, intergovernmental organisations and civil society.
If you are interesting in learning more, feel free to contact us at ESG PlayBook.
We’d be happy to hear from you!