Climate change has reached a new pinnacle. According to IPCC, “Nobody’s safe and it’s getting worse, faster,” said Inger Anderson, executive director of the UN Environment Programme, which established the climate change panel in 1988 in partnership with the World Meteorological Organization.
The IPCC released their Sixth Assessment and The United Nations is calling the latest climate report a “code red for humanity “AR6 Climate Change 2021: The Physical Science Basis”.
A few of the takeaways, included:
1. Change is coming more quickly than anticipated. We are out of time.
2. Humans are, without question, responsible for the climate mess.
3. There’s no more time to waste. We are out of time.
4. Today’s carbon “sinks” (this refers to the oceans and trees that currently store 56% of the world’s 40 billion tons of carbon dioxide.)
5. Carbon dioxide is the primary target when it comes to reducing emissions, but methane is a secondary.
6. Warming is touching the entire planet, not just people. It touches everywhere.
7. There’s nowhere to hide. Per the report: “Climate change is already affecting every inhabited region across the globe.”
8. Is it hopeless? That depends. “The report is very clear, the science is very clear: What drives warming is future emissions,” said Valerie Masson-Delmotte. “So this really is in our hands.”
For more information and to read the report visit: https://www.ipcc.ch/report/ar6/wg1/
#climateactionnow #climaterisk #carbonemissions #ipcc #soniazugel
Contact ESG Playbook One platform. Only best practice. All the tools and frameworks you need for your ESG Reporting.